Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Pomegranate Mess

At the grocery store today I got super excited when I saw how cheap pomegranates are ($1.78) so I grabbed one up and thought it would be great to add to my afterwork protein shakes. I got home and quickly cut it in half for my shake; I went shopping right after the gym and it was time for a fuel up. I scooped out a few seeds and tossed them in. After the drink I sorted out and prepped food for the freezer and meals/snacks for the week. This included de-seeding the rest of the pomegranate, which I thought would be a no brainer... I wish I would have seen this website first for the less messy version!! 

all those purple spots are pomegranate juice. soaking in cold water and detergent.

got a ton of seeds from just one! 
Luckily that was just a gym shirt and I was able to take it off, all those spots are just from de-seeding HALF of that thing! The juice splattered all over the cabinets too! Warning: wear an apron OR follow the less messy way when de-seeding your pomegranate. The 'stains' did come out. 


So why have pomegranates become so popular lately? Check out their stats!


Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy346 kJ (83 kcal)
Carbohydrates18.7 g
Sugars13.7 g
Dietary fiber4.0 g
Fat1.2 g
Protein1.7 g
Thiamine (vit. B1)0.07 mg (6%)
Riboflavin (vit. B2)0.05 mg (4%)
Niacin (vit. B3)0.29 mg (2%)
Pantothenic acid (B5)0.38 mg (8%)
Vitamin B60.08 mg (6%)
Folate (vit. B9)38 μg (10%)
Vitamin C10 mg (12%)
Calcium10 mg (1%)
Iron0.30 mg (2%)
Magnesium12 mg (3%)
Phosphorus36 mg (5%)
Potassium236 mg (5%)
Zinc0.35 mg (4%)
 source

  • In a limited study of hypertensive patients, consumption of pomegranate juice for two weeks was shown to reduce systolic blood pressure by inhibiting serum angiotensin-converting enzyme. Juice consumption may also inhibit viral infections  while pomegranate extracts have antibacterial effects against dental plaque. [source]

  • Pomegranate juice is high in three different types of polyphenols, a potent form of antioxidants. The three types - tannins, anthocyanins, and ellagic acid - are present in many fruits, but fresh pomegranate juice contains particularly high amounts of all three. [source]

  • According to Dr. Thomas Behrenbeck of the Mayo CLinic, preliminary evidence shows that cholesterol levels may be reduced through the consumption of pomegranate fruit or its juice. Dr, Behrenbeck credits this to pomegranates unique combination of polyphenols which appear to lower LDL or "bad" cholesterol in the blood which ultimately benefits the heart. [source]

Pomegranate juice is usually too expensive for my taste, but if you buy the fruit you can de-seed it yourself for a small fraction of the price. Only bummer is that they are in season from September to late January... we are in late January now. But I did read on one of the sites listed that they can keep in a fridge for up to two months if they are wrapped in tight plastic. 

I can't wait to add this to our grilled chicken salad wraps tonight! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...