Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thankful for Food

Thanksgiving was great! We were down one person at the last minute, which was stinky because we were stoked for Tim to make it, but it didn't work out. We did have two other guests who were also great and ate a ton of food... which is good because I made a TON of food! No joke!

Jason and I prepared our bellies for a day of eating with a short & cold run
you can't tell in this picture, but my shirt is so bright it was reflecting off the walls!!!
After breathing in cold air while I was getting over a cold and Jason's cold was in full swing we decided it was time for breakfast. Josh made a nice big breakfast of eggs, turkey sausage, and pumpkin bagels - it was delicious! I have pretty much been eating eggs every. single. morning. for the past month, but those pumpkin bagels were way better than I expected (Thomas brand). As soon as breakfast was over I immediately set out snacks of almonds and trail mix on the coffee table and went right back to the kitchen for SIX hours of nonstop cooking. Yes, literally 6 hours. I loved every second of it! 

First up on the list was Ghirardelli Triple Fudge brownies. I subbed the oil with applesauce and they came out amazing. I didn't have one until the next day and when I took my first bite I couldn't believe it! When I was reading how to sub the ingredients the site told me that applesauce will make your baked goods richer, creamier, and more dense; and it did. These were the most decadent brownies I have ever had and will be using applesauce from now on.



Then I immediately started working on the Pumpkin Chocolate chip Oatmeal Cookies before the brownies were even cooled off. And to even it out... a veggie tray! I love using dry Ranch dip mix with greek yogurt as a veggie dip. You get all the yummy taste of the unhealthy Ranch with the added protein of the greek yogurt.


Finally it was the turkeys turn to come out of the brine I set it in about 36 hours before hand. I let the turkey soak in a mix of apple cider, orange zest and fresh squeezed juice, salt, pepper, EVOO, a poultry meat rub (cinnamon and clove based), salt, black pepper, and onion. When it was time to go into the oven I left some juice with it and added whole cloves stuck into the breasts, fresh rosemary on top, and added more veggies as stuffing. This was the most moist turkey I have ever had and the juice from apples and oranges gave it a nice sweet taste and the clove gave it that warm holiday taste. I can't even lie - I am bragging on my own turkey right now, all 18 pounds of it haha. 


Then it was time to get to work on the sides:
  • Crockpot macaroni and cheese
  • Garlic Rosemary mashed red potatoes
  • Regular plain mashed potatoes (for Jason, he's picky)
  • Roasted green beans, red peppers, and brussel sprouts
  • Salad with homemade dressing
  • Crescent rolls (Josh's turkey day staple)
  • Fresh cranberry sauce (my turkey day staple)
And between all that I also made a pumpkin pie (made with soy milk, you couldn't even tell) and a pumpkin whipped cream dip with cinnamon grahams for desert. I was a cooking machine. 

It was timed out perfectly! I don't know how it all happened but it was all ready at the same time. I set it all up, carved up the bird and got ready for the toast. 

it looks burn but it wasn't, the EVOO just burned the skin




It was a very filling Thanksgiving (we're still eating turkey a week later!)




The boys did more than eat all day... they also watched football for a few hours :o)


(not a single picture of me all day... I even dressed up in festive autumn colors, oh well)


Any one wanna come visit us for next Thanskgiving? We'll have plenty of food for everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...